Monday, February 28, 2011

M:76/P:65: New Companion: Elder Estrada

Hola Familia,
Well, Dad, I'm sorry that you're trip was so much trouble.  I think when it comes down to it, some people get all the luck and the rest of us fight for the scraps.  I'm glad to at least hear that the ordeal is over.  I do think it's funny how things turn out when we try to cut corners on expenses with things as risky as travel.
Well, last week started off horribly.  I had intended to use the day of transfers as an opportunity to scope out all the stores in this zone and make some purchases.  Then the zone leader (edited) begged me to go on a split with another missionary.  I didn't want to but you know how I am, don't you?  Especially when people give me the sob story and beg.  We just basically sat on a bench the entire day.  It was mind-numbing.
Thankfully, I've been fortunate enough to have been paired up with Elder Estrada.  He's a Guatemalan elder that's now in his second change here in Panama, basically a newbie.  He's got a good heart and is enthusiastic to work.  Paired with the improving relationship between ward leaders and us, I think this change has a lot of potential.  I'll get pictures of him soon so you can see.
In terms of the work, this week was a tad slow, but that's natural with the start of transfers.  I'm curious to see how our new companionship functions this week.  We're going to try to win over the members with kelaguen.  It's going to cost me a lot in both money and effort but I think it could have some great rewards for the mission work.  I'm not sure when I'll  begin cooking dishes as some of the sisters in the ward have expressed interest in learning how to make the dish.
As for Dad's retirement plans, I've been wondering as well about what you're going to do.  I know you both want to do your thing and are very resolute on it.  I don't know what to tell you, Mom.  Dad's ambitious but I don't know if it's fair to make you move again.  As for schooling, I've already accepted the possibility of returning to Idaho.  I think this time things will go a little better.  I don't really know much about the alternatives, but I think Idaho would be alright.  I'd be coming home the 25th of August?  I thought it was the 17th?  In terms of a release date, my technical two-years-complete date is the 17th of September.  And President Ward is only willing to cut one month out on the condition of returning to school.  Given that now it looks like I'll be attending a little later, I don't know if he'll give me all that time off.  I'll ask on it.
I will mention, though, that I think much of my mission will be hard to show you.  I think people would mug us blind in the majority of my areas.  And I'm not even in dangerous areas.
In other news, I broke the sink!  It looks like I'll have to learn to do a little plumbing if I want to be able to shower tomorrow.  I almost flooded the kitchen when I busted the tube trying to fix one of the sink handles.
Well, Mom and Dad and Family, I think that's all I can remember to mention until now.  I hope you all recooperate well and are taking good care of yourselves.  I love you all.
Your Élder in Panamá,
Élder Austin Michael Ascura

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that from you, Austin. I feel overwhelmed whenever I get to read posts about people's plans, hopes, dreams and love for family. I hope that all your plans happen, whatever they may be. Just keep your faith high! =D

    ReplyDelete