Monday, November 22, 2010

M: 63/P:52: Last Day in Puerto Pilon

Hola Familia,

Are you all sure Spencer´s home in April? Is that really his end mark? I could have sworn that he still had more to go. As for the others from the Kansas gang, I´m glad to finally have heard from them. What luck that Ian would be going to Peru, too. I imagine that they´ll have at least one run in before Spencer comes home. Corey´s going to Halifax? Hmmm. I think the Canadian missionary that I met in the airport before I got to the MTC was from there. Well, he won´t be hot, that´s for sure. And Kyle´s working up the green to go out? Well, I look forward to hearing where he´ll be assigned. I thought he would go someplace like Halifax, not Corey. And Ben will be up and out soon. Well, best of luck to each one of them.

As for my wallet, it wasn´t my wallet I lost. Nor did I lose the cards you guys gave me. Only the mission credit card. I lost that, my military ID, driver´s license, paper copy of my passport, minister´s license, and my equivalent of a visa card for the country. I´m going to call in tonight, I couldn´t find it anywhere. But the two cards you gave me are both still safe and sound.

As for the pictures I´m going to head over to the members´ house today to sort that out.

As for packages, I´m still waiting on everything. I´m hoping that my Halloween package gets here tomorrow. As for Christmas, there´s a couple families here that have lived in the States for a while. But I´m fairly sure I´ll be pulled out of here soon to give my companion a Latino companion to help him with his Spanish. So I´ll have to scope out the gringos in my next area, I think. As for Thanksgiving, well, I´m pretty sure I won´t even remember Thanksgiving until my companion mentions it. The mission seems to be preparing something for the Holiday season but I have absolutely no clue what it is. Whoever my companion is, I´ll try to get him something nice. But not too nice.

A note on "getting in with the big guy", I am absolutely stuffed out here. Hunger is something I almost never have. If anything, they often overfeed us. I´ll tell you all about it sometime. We had five big meals this last Wednesday. I don´t like eating a lot now.

As for the work, the week was pretty well. Found a couple more homes to teach in, although we would like to teach them more than only one time a week. We had a baptism this last Saturday. His name is Eric Gonzalez. He´s twenty two years old and his younger brother (Eddie) got baptised about five or six months ago. It´s been interesting watching Eric go through the entire process. As for future prospects, we have another baptismal date set and are about to go through the marriage process again to secure everything in place.


Eddie Gonzalez and Eric Gonzalez (Right)

Well, I can´t seem to think of much else to write. For the first time in a while, I actually have a little time left over. Well, I hope everyone at home is taking care and that you enjoy the drive up to Oregon to leave your car behind. I think of you all often, but not too often, and hope you enjoy the holiday season.

Your Elder in Panamá,
Elder Austin Michael Ascura

1 comment:

  1. This is a comment from Austin's Companion: Elder Bryson Alley. It gives more insight to what the two missionaries did as a companion, from two different perspectives:

    I’m not sure what I’ll be doing or eating, but I’ll let ya know next week! It’s not really a holiday here, seeing as it’s pilgrims and stuff. But they know about it.

    YAY FOR A BAPTISM ON SATURDAY!!!!!! It was so awesome! His name is Eric Gonzalez, and his younger brother, Eddie, baptized him - in the picture he’s on the right. It was a pretty simple baptism - not many people, but it was still super powerful. We did have to do it twice though, but that’s ok. :) We talk about baptism so much it’s so fun to actually see someone take that step!

    Oh - the second counselor wants to know how to cook a turkey... he says we should ask our parents...:) ‘cuz I certainly don’t know! All they cook here is chicken. I don’t know how different a turkey would be though.

    Lets see, what else happened this week? Hmm....not much, other than teaching and preaching and working, as missionaries do...even though a lot of our appointments fell, but that’s life! :) We’re also trying to help this guy with his English. English is HARD! Haha, I’m so glad I’m not trying to learn English. We spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why we say “up” in so many phrases, where it doesn’t actually mean up. Like messed up, what’s up, gave up, etc, etc. Haha, English just doesn’t make sense. At all. But I love it.

    The cool thing I’ve learned about personal study here is how basically ANY scripture can apply to whatever situation, if the Spirit is teaching you. Just random stories in the New Testament, which is what I’m reading right now, will apply, even if they’re not talking about missionary work, per se. Like the Samaritan woman at the well - you usually don’t think of that as a missionary story. But after SHE was converted, many other Samaritans, who NEVER dealt with the Jews, listened to Jesus and were converted because of her testimony! It just mentions that in one little verse later on, but it teaches a good lesson about missionaries - especially when the missionaries are foreigners, like me!

    Well, I’m learning lots about the gospel and myself, and I’m working hard, and I love you all!

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Elder Alley

    ReplyDelete