Monday, May 31, 2010

Mission Week 38/Panama Week 27: Missionaries Get Respect

Hola Familia,
Well, Dad, I´ve never considered you an easy one to crack (referring to my deposition last week by lawyers representing a company whose contract we terminated), except when I was a kid. Heck, if those lawyers were smart they would´ve given candy to Liesy and told her to do the case.


It is kind of bittersweet how Mom´s job turned out. It´s been quite the roller coaster ride, right? And to think that they all are sad to see her leave after giving her such a hard time (when she was first hired). Irony has a weird way of seeping into things like that.

As for the mugging (last week), I didn´t get mugged; just some guy threatened to mug me. He was drunk and bumming a quarter off me. Says he´s one of the thugs up that way. Normally, mugging a missionary is a bad idea as they normally don´t carry much more than scriptures and taxi money. Plus there´s a lot of stories that circulate about muggers getting shot up or dying after mugging a missionary. They respect us out here, even more because a lot of them were baptised. But if we get mugged, my companion´s likely going to lose his camera. He always has it with him.

Actually, Dad, I´m not baptising a whole lot (referring to my comparison of the slow work there being no different than slow work in many missions, including my mission). I had one (baptism) this last week and we got two more planned soon, but I don´t know how those will go down. One has problems remembering things and the other has problems with tobacco and I think someone in their family might be working against us. We´ll see on that. I hope I don´t get stuck here for any more than six months. But we´ll see on that one, too.

I´ll have a CD with pictures in the mail tomorrow and a handwritten letter accompanying it.

I´m sorry for the short letter, I´m trying to do something like four things at once. I love you all and hope you all are keeping well.

Your Elder in Panama,
Elder Austin Michael Ascura

No comments:

Post a Comment